Friday, February 20, 2009

I need to vent.

I normally wouldn't do this here, but I really need to get this off my chest.
I made plans to go see one of my friends where she works tonight. Haven't seen her in quite a while, and she doesn't know about anything new in my life. I haven't gotten the chance to tell her about me losing my job, that my mom's in jail, that I have a new boyfriend or that I'm moving out soon. I like to let people know what's going on with me. I used to work with her and we were always pretty good friends. She really upset me tonight though.
I am dating a guy that is 26 years my senior. I know that some people don't agree with that because they think it's 'gross' or whatever, but I really don't care. I can expect for strangers to look at us funny, because they do. But I really don't care what strangers think of me. Friends and family are the ones that matter most. My family is accepting of it because they see how happy I am, and that's really all they care about. They've met him, they know what kind of person he is, and they can see how good he treats me. In my opinion, that's all that matters. I'm 20 years old, was 19 when we met. I never in a million years dreamt we'd date but the more we talked the more we had in common, the more I liked him. He has kids that are close to my age but they're younger than me, 2 sons.
She wanted to know about him so she pretty much freaked out on me when I said he was older. Of course, the age difference was the only thing she was thinking about. It pretty much doesn't matter how happy I am, or that I have somebody I can connect with so well. Honestly, I never would have guessed we'd be where we are now, but we are. And I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. I have somebody that treats me with respect, that loves me for who I am, that always reminds me how proud he is of me, somebody that I feel so complete with. I cannot control my heart or who I fall in love with, and I never tried to. I feel like if i wrote him off simply because of the age difference, I could be missing out on alot.
She just lectured me about it and when I started getting mad enough that I wanted to start swinging, I walked off from her. I can't sit there and listen to somebody lecture me about it when they really don't know anything about the relationship. It doesn't hurt anyone, or effect anyone else's lives. He's met most of my family, and they all love him. I just thought that a friend would be a little more open and realize that I'm happy, and that should be all she's worried about. We've been dating 7 months, he's never tried to pressure me about anything, has never put me down, anything like that. The last guy I was with made comments about my body not being good enough and things like that, and she asks me if I'm wanting to go back with him. WTF?
I just don't understand people I guess. I'm happy with the one I'm with. I don't really care about the age difference. I get along way better with him than I do with anybody my age. I've been through alot and I'm not a partier or wild child or any of that like alot of people tend to be at my age. I have goals in life and I know where I'm going, I'm pretty stable. That's why we get along so well. I just don't understand why that's so hard for people.
Sorry to rant, I just needed to talk about it.

3 comments:

Caroline D. said...

I'm so sorry that your friend treated you that way. Just keep doing what works for you and let go of those who have such closed minds.

The Queen said...

You're friends are suppose to be the people that are there for you when your family isn't. Boy, is this one backwards. She sounds like she's kind of miserable. I don't see what the big deal is with the age difference. If you are happy and in love, that's really all that matters.

ShaNic Design said...

At least you have someone to go home to at night.

So screw the haters.